Trading Standards are in a position to install a TrueCall, call blocking device free of charge for vulnerable residents of Dumfries & Galloway. To allow the device to operate successfully, caller id must be in operation. Some service providers will provide this free of charge at least for an initial period, however sometimes there can be a small charge which must be covered by the householder.
The resident is required to provide Trading Standards with a list of “trusted callers”. We input this detail into the unit, which in turn allows calls from these numbers to by-pass the unit. If the number is not on the list of “trusted callers” the number will not get through. Calls from these numbers are monitored and used as intelligence by Trading Standards.
The benefits of having a TrueCall unit installed have:
- Prevented loss of money, sometimes life savings, to scammers
- Allowed people to remain living in their own homes for longer (saving the cost of residential care)
- Reduction in police time recording and investigating scams
- People who lose their money to scams will rely on public services more
- Reduction in risk of trips and falls and distraction accidents (as the phone rings much less often)
If you know of anyone who you think may experience a large number of nuisance calls and could benefit from having a unit installed, you could either give them Shona Beattie’s details (see below) or pass on their details to Shona and Trading Standards will make contact with them, or if more appropriate a family member or carer. Trading Standards are also happy to speak to other organisations who may be interested or know of a vulnerable person who may benefit.
Principal Trading Standards Officer
Dumfries & Galloway Council
75 Buccleuch Street
Telephone: 01387 245918