The deadline is approaching for the first stage of the Heritage Horizon Awards from the Heritage Fund.
How much you can apply for
The minimum amount of grant is £5million. There is no upper limit on how much you can apply for.
A total of £50million is available in the first year (2020-2021). The application process is now open.
Who can apply
You can apply for a Heritage Horizon Award if you are a:
- not-for-profit organisation
- partnership led by a not-for-profit organisation
What we are looking for
The concept behind the Heritage Horizon Awards is: “Backing big ideas, unlocking possibilities”.
This means, we expect all projects to be:
We want you to show clear and ambitious plans for how the project will bring about positive changes and benefits to people, places and wider heritage. We expect you to have plans to share your learning from the project widely across the sector.
We welcome applications for all kinds of heritage projects.
Our strategic priorities are:
- landscapes and nature
- heritage at risk
How to apply
For our Heritage Horizon Awards, we are using the Application guidance: £250,000-£5m.
Review the key documents below, and then submit an Expression of Interest form. Please use the £250,000-£5m Expression of Interest form. This form has been extended to include Heritage Horizon Awards. Expression of Interest forms must be submitted by 11 October 2019, via our online application portal.
We will assess submissions based on our desire to achieve a balanced portfolio of projects across geographies and heritage types. All Expressions of Interest must demonstrate ambitious proposals for achieving our mandatory inclusion outcome.
If your Expression of Interest shows strong potential, you will be invited to present your proposal to a panel of our decision makers.
We will then decide on a shortlist. We will let you know whether or not you have been shortlisted by December 2019.
What happens if you are shortlisted
If you are shortlisted, you will be invited to submit a development phase application through our online application portal by:
- 1 September 2020 to receive a development phase decision by 31 December 2020
Please make sure that the start date of your project is later than the date of decision.
The programme is in two phases:
- development phase: up to two years
- delivery phase: up to five years
For grants above £5m, application deadlines are set in advance to clarify when funding decisions will be made.
- 11 October 2019 at 12noon: Expressions of Interest deadline
- December 2019: shortlisted projects notified
- 1 September 2020 at 12noon: deadline for development application
- by 31 December 2020: development decisions are made
- up to 2022: projects will have up to two years to submit their delivery proposals. Delivery decisions will be made by the Board.
What you need to contribute financially
You must contribute at least 10% of the costs of your development phase and 10% of the costs of your delivery phase.
We describe your contribution as “partnership funding” and it can be made up of cash, non-cash contributions, volunteer time or a combination of all of these.
For further details please see the guidance below.
Key documents you’ll need to help you apply:
- application guidance – this is the application guidance for our £250,000-£5m grants. It sets out who can apply, what we are looking for, the application process, timeline and financial contributions. It also applies to grants over £5m, except for the differences outlined above.
- application help notes
- preview of the questions contained within the Expression of Interest – this is the form used for our £250,000-£5m grants. It also applies to grants over £5m.
- good practice guidance
- standard terms for development phase grants
- standard terms for delivery grants