COVID-19 Volunteer Good Practice Guide
Thank you for volunteering to support your local community. Before volunteering ask yourself if you are well enough to volunteer. If you are experiencing any symptoms of Coronavirus, or live with anyone who is, please do not volunteer. Check the following website for advice.
When carrying out volunteering activities you must carry with you the following:
- Letter of authority (does not need to be a hard copy, can be an email on your phone)
- A form of photo identification eg driving license (if driving whilst volunteering you must carry your driving licence)
During volunteering, please follow good hygiene practices and social distancing of 2m (6ft).
If you are delivering an item(s)
- DO NOT share a vehicle with anyone you do not live with.
- On arriving at the address knock on the door/ring the bell, leave the delivery on the doorstep and step back at least 2m.
- Wait for the person to answer the door.
- When the person has retrieved the delivery or acknowledged it is there return to your vehicle.
- DO NOT enter the home of the person nor have any physical contact with them, always maintain the 2m rule.
- On completion of your volunteering please follow good hand hygiene rules.
If you are asked to collect shopping or supplies:
- If shopping has been ordered by the person (click and collect) visit the appropriate shop at the allocated time and collect the delivery.
- Follow any rules implemented by the shop including wearing facial coverings, one-way systems etc whilst in the shop.
- Follow the steps above for delivering.
If you are purchasing supplies:
- Volunteers should work in pairs, but do not share a vehicle with someone you do not live with, this may mean using two vehicles.
- Visit the home of the person, knock on the door/ring the bell and step back 2m (6ft).
- The person should place the shopping list and money in an envelope and place this on the doorstep. Only cash should be accepted, and it should be no more than £20.
- The person should then step back 2m to allow you to retrieve the envelope.
- Open the envelope in view of the person and your fellow volunteer, maintaining the 2m rule at all times. Confirm receipt of money and shopping list.
- DO NOT enter the home of the person.
- DO NOT accept debit/credit cards nor PIN numbers – only cash may be used.
- When you have completed the shopping, place the receipt and change back into the envelope, witnessed by your fellow volunteer.
- Follow the procedures above for delivering shopping.
- Place the envelope with the receipt and change and leave with the shopping on the doorstep.
- The person should check the receipt and change before you leave.
More information can be found using the following link:
Thank you again for volunteering to support your local community during the Coronavirus pandemic. To find out the latest information please visit:
If you would like more information about volunteering in Dumfries and Galloway please go to the following website:
To find out more about the community resilience groups in your area and what is available to support communities during the pandemic please visit
Call 0300 303 8558 (Third Sector Dumfries and Galloway) or 030 33 33 3000 (Dumfries and Galloway Council)